XChat User Commands How-To
After a period of time of helping do support in the #fedora channel, i realized, i was constantly pointing to the same places again and again. The purpose of this post to show others how to make their own user commands. Also included is a link to a customized commands.conf pointing to the posts on the Fedora Unity sites.
Applicable to Fedora Versions
- Xchat must be installed. If not, execute: su -c 'yum install xchat'
Doing the Work
Basic description of what will be done and what is expected.
- Open Xchat , to do so select Applications>Internet>IRC.
- In Xchat click Settings:
- Click Advanced:
- Click User Commands (which will open another windows as shown):
- Now we want to create a short pointing to a webpage as an Example we will use the Fedora Core Installation Guide
Click Add New and paste your cursor inside that box with *NEW* with your mouse as shown
- Remove the *NEW* and type the shortcut name we want to use (for this howto we will use 'fcig')
- Move to the Edit Me box
type "me points %2 to http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/install-guide/f8/en/"
which means /me =(action command in irc)/points=(verb)/%2 =(nick you want to see this) to /url of the page
- Repeat steps as nesassary to set up all the links you want (or download this command.conf which has Fedora Unity posts all ready included Download and copy the command.conf to your ~/home/user/.xchat2 folder WARNING: By Copying it will replace your old commands.conf!
How to test
- In Xchat open a nonregistered Channel, Then the command syntax is /shortcut Nick example: /fcig Vilegent
- Press Enter gives the following:
Common problems and fixes
None known at this time
We test this stuff on our own machines, really we do. But you may run into problems, if you do, come to #fedora on irc.freenode.net